Letting contracts in 1884 – a familiar tale

Rev William Guinness returned to his old church, St. Paul’s, in Collooney in 1884. Parish records from the time are held at the Church of Ireland archive in Dublin, and there is one interesting account of events that presumably would have involved the vicar, though to what extent is not known.  According to the records, the graveyard at St Paul’s was proving too small and an approach to the local landowner Colonel Cooper was successful in securing additional land and some funding towards the new fencing.  The records are somewhat cryptic in relation to the actual graveyard extension work.  Tenders were called for the job and Mr John Tighe’s bid accepted.  However, his paperwork was found to have an error, so further tenders were sought and a new contract awarded to Mr. John McKim.  Four months later however vestry inspected the burial ground extension work, “done by Mr. John Tighe”, the original successful tenderer.  The records are silent on how he came to win back the contract – some things never change.

© 2019 Eyeglass Press Ltd - All Rights Reserved.